Friday, January 05, 2007

Sock it to me....

This is my first real attempt at knitting socks. I've tried a couple of times before, but just never seemed to get anywhere. A lovely person recommended Silver's Sock Class to me, step by step instructions, with photos, to show me exactly how to create my own socks. So knowing that I knit at about average tension, but have rather fat legs and very wide feet, I selected the largest needles they advise to use, and a ball of scrummy opal sock yarn and away I went.

After trying to tie myself in knots several times over the first few rows, I realised that it was getting easier. I've used dpn's before, so it wasn't that hard to adapt. I think it would be a lot harder to be using such small needles and fine yarn if I didn't have that previous experience though.

I decided to adapt the pattern to use only 2 inches of rib, then move onto stocking stitch. Rib takes ages and I wanted a pair of socks that would be complete before I lost interest. Although this will make the socks wider, this won't be a problem with the tree trunks I have for legs.

I found the instructions on the site very easy to follow. I've made some basic beginner errors, laddering on the gusset, holes at the top of the heel flap, made it too short and ghastly kitchiner stitch. However, it is undeniably produced a sock shape item and as such can be called a success.

I'm intending on ripping it back a bit to fix the length. I could go back and fix the gusset as well, but they are only socks for me and as such will do fine as they are. They can remain in my collection as a comparison and will, I hope, show me that I've made considerable improvement by the time I've knitted more socks. I think the lovely colour does help to hide any mistakes as well.

While I'm working on finishing off the second and re finishing the first. I will need to choose another sock pattern. Something fairly sock beginner friendly, but either not quite as basic or a toe up pattern would be great.

Any recommendations?

No comments: