Saturday, December 30, 2006

pattern: Zig Zag





Zig zag is a simple, thin decorative scarf, needing only beginner level knitting skills. However, it is a nice introduction to the idea of multi directional knitting. It's not intended to be a neck warmer, more like something you throw on over a fleece jacket to break up the monotony. I've knit it in a new British produced yarn, but I think it would work well in any yarn which self stripes.

yarn: Twileys freedom spirit, 1 ball

100% wool
50g, 120m per ball
handwash

cost: £3

time: 3 hours to knit, 15 mins to finish

knitability level: beginner

needles: 1 pair 4.5mm (US 7)

gauge: 22 stitches, 24 rows per 4 inches in garter stitch

Cast on 12 stitches. Work 21 rows in garter stitch, this will give you 11 garter ridges. Cast off 11 stitches.



*Turn work 90 degrees clockwise, with the single stitch remaining on the needle. Pick up 11 more stitches, one from each garter stitch ridge, to give 12 stitches. Knit 20 rows. cast off 11 stitches.



Repeat from * until you have used up almost all the wool (I got 23 squares). Cast off final stitch.

Sew in ends. You can, if you wish add a few beads or buttons to the ends to add a little decoration.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! I'm sure it would look awesome in Noro or something similar. :)

Toggle said...

I think that as well, however, I wanted to try out this yarn because it was a sort of striping yarn that is cheaper than noro. it dosen't quite have the same effect though.

Ana Petrova said...

Yup it looks like a Noro yarn project but probably would work in other verigated yarn also.

Toggle said...

Yes. I've now learnt a lesson in false economy an intend to rectify that by buying some noro shortly.


The scarf itself was gifted to a friend who travelled an hour and a half from her place on new year's eve afternoon just to cheer me up when i was feeling down. the fact that she loved something I had designed and made for myself cheered me up even more.