Tuesday, May 29, 2007

knit rug









What would you do with a load of free and nearly free scritchy, veggie matter filled rug yarn?

Knitting a rug on 4 foot long needles would be a good place to start. My dad made these needles for me ages ago and I've tried several projects on them, never finding quite the right one. Now I've got it I think, 10 strands, 6 of various wools I got for free or in a charity shop bag for a quid and 4 of a cotton tape I got 24 balls of for a fiver at a car boot sale.

Only problem is that it's heavy. I've knit about a foot of it so far, at 4 stitches, 5 rows to 4 inches, the needles are in fact 18mm, the yarn bundle itself works out as about 2 wraps per inch. and a foot of rug weighs a good 3 pounds. Th3 finished rug should be at least 4 feet long, so I'm going to give my wrists quite a workout.



Oh yeah, and that's what happens when you wear one pair of sandals all the time, tan lines on my feet, get em every year

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats awesome!! so you're multi-stranding just a regular st st? you should totally write up the pattern.... but where to get 4 foot long needles!?!?

Toggle said...

I made my needles. I'm also considering making them for sale.


And yeah, it's just regular stocking stitch with 10 strands of yarn