Wednesday, March 14, 2007

spinning green alpacca



Bought this from scottishfibres.co.uk along with a load of blue faced leicester roving and some wensleydale locks. No idea what to do with the latter, they aren't prepared, so I'll need to learn about that.

The spindle was a gift from a friend that made it. He's going to make them to sell along with some other spinning tools, cider presses, flower presses and he does wonderful metalwork. My friend cledry yarner has them offered for sale on her site. This is the larger of the pair he sent me. It's spinning smoothly and evenly and i'm getting a lovely smooth yarn. It feels really nice to work with as well, nice wood, nice smooth finish. Just the thing for meditative, relaxing spinning.

The smaller is absolutely perfect for laceweight. I've spun scrummy merino and soy silk into yarn the thickness of sewing thread.



Now considering how new I am to spinning, it's amazing that he would be so nice and let me have his lovely work to try out. However, I'm glad he did because they are a joy to work with.

I'm also going to set myself several tasks to complete today.

1. finish spinning the green alpacca
2. cook pigeons for supper
3. tidy my desk
4. finish one WIP

not a lot, but i did a lot of work yesterday, that and dealing with hedge woman was very, very tiring. Now I need more tea.

2 comments:

Batty said...

Lovely spindles! And your spinning is so even. Impressive.

Out of curiosity: what are you going to do with those pigeons? I've had pigeon soup once, but other than that, I wouldn't know what to do with the critters.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you spinning is so even. I don't think anyone would know that you are new to the craft, if you didn't tell them.

I love the green alpaca...just lovely.

Your SP