Wednesday, January 30, 2008

homemade bacon





Well, 3 days in a cure for the pig belly and this is what I got. I'm going to estimate that this was about 15% of the meat by weight and I've got 7-8lbs of bacon.

Having the confidence to leave meat out of the fridge, even in salt took some doing. having the confidence to believe the recipe that said it only took 3 days to cure took even more. But it's definitely bacon, hard, dry cure bacon, more suitable for cooking with thna for frying up with egg and saus on a Sunday morning, but this will add flavour to sauces and soups for months. I already tried a bit in a leek and potato soup and it was LOVELY.

As a first experiment in home curing meat, I've got to pronounce this a great success. We're already looking forward to the hams and I'm looking into the possibility of dry cure ham and home cured salt beef.

No comments: