Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cast on Diet

I'm working on a specific plan here, for each project I cast on for, I have to finish 2. I think this will effectively mean that I'll finish one old WIP and one newer project for each cast on. In some cases finishing will also involve writing up the pattern or article that goes with it.


The WIP list is getting ridiculous. I think there's a few things in bags that I haven't added to the list either, not to mention half done bits of spinning for various project ideas, and swatches and balls of yarn out t start on that I can't remember what they were for.

It is time for me to reduce this pile and start actually finishing some stuff. If it's worth knitting, it's worth actually completing. I'm spending too much time working on things I don't get to enjoy as a finished item for months.

I'm not setting myself a specific time limit on this, but I think I should continue until I can get the WIP pile down to under 10 items and I should endeavour to keep it that way. The yarn diet I started for my April challenge hasn't finished yet. I used the month to look at the yarn I already had and began to use up some of that. Since then, I've only bought small amounts of yarn from charity shops and i'm working on some great ideas from the stash I already have. I'm hoping a cast on diet will help me appreciate those things I've started knitting and think about how to finish them or whether they are viable as projects at all.

And this has already started. The rug on big needles was the last free cast on. Although that is now almost finished, I just need to tidy up and weave in ends, I'm waiting until I finish a second project until i cast on with the yarn that I spun from the roving fee gave me as a birthday pressie.



I'm quite impressed with how it turned out. It was so deliciously soft, i didn't want to take away any of that, so it's quite a low twist chunky. The 100g gave me about 130 yards of yarn, enough for a wrap for the daughter. Fee has suggested a pattern that I think will work if I do a few adaptations to it.

However, i have to finish something else before i make it. So the second sock to go with the one in St James' Park is being rapidly finished off. I have one more pattern repeat, then an inch of rib. I should be starting the wrap tonight.

1 comment:

Batty said...

The cast on diet is a really good idea. The only problem is that they are always coming out with fabulous new patterns, and once the stash is big enough that you can just pull something out and start swatching, trouble ensues. To me, a cast on diet would be even harder than a yarn diet, and that's saying something.