Thursday, March 27, 2008

no sock today, check out the rug



I started a giant needle multistrand rug, as part of the tidy and destash I'm doing this year. This will use up the vast majority of the leftover and charity shop yarns that just aren't any good for anything else. The shop i go to will sell part balls of yarns by the bag, so I will pick up a whole carrier bag for a quid, then sort it later. last time i looked at this, I worked out that it uses up about 20 yards per strand per square foot.

This time it's 20 strands, and it's looking at about 2.5 foot wide. That works out as about 1000 yards of yarn used per foot of knitted rug. I should be able to start moving yarns off the bags on the back of the door and out of one of the small sets of portable shelves when this is done. my stash will then fit in the space that was assigned to house it. I need to clear about 5 square feet of yarn in order to do that. I'll offer as swap what I don't want to use in this rug, so i can get more yarns that i can use in other projects and actually destash. This house will get tidier before i sprog again in July.

I did knit some sock, only I'm knitting both at the same time, at least both legs at the same time. I had a limited amount of a lovely NZ merino 4 ply and wanted to make sure I could knit a leg for both socks from the yarn. The foot is a tougher vintage brown 4 ply that will wear a lot better. I should have pictures of both to show tomorrow or the day after.

No comments: