Thursday, November 27, 2008

I joined a club tonight




When I mentioned to my mother that I was looking into signing up for classes in digital photography, she mentioned that one of her friends was a member of a photography club that met weekly and held competitions and critiqued each other's images and generally learnt from each other how to take better photographs.

Now with that suggestion, I leapt at the chance to get out of the house with someone other than my mother and went along with her tonight and thought it was really good. I am in no way up to their standard and most of them are a bit older, but I think it may well be an enjoyable evening and I can learn a lot from them.

Anyway, this is a slightly different angle on the view from the house. I liked the way in which the sunlight on the houses was reflected in the water. I'd like to try and get that shot at high tide though, I think it would be a lot better. The whole creek area looks a lot nicer when the tide is up, smells a bit better as well.

As for the whole knitting thing, I've finished a couple of pairs of child socks, just need to sew up the toes. I've also been working on a crochet scrap blanket with the leftovers. I'll try and get some pictures of then when I have some time to spare during the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely pic.

One trick I've read often, and also used a lot, is to not center the horizon line on the picture. A one third / two thirds ratio of land / sky or sky / land is good.

And cropping is not cheating. Nor is taking tons of pictures!

Batty said...

Taking tons of pictures is something professional photographers do a lot too. That way, you have plenty to choose from and can pick the best.